Wednesday 19 September 2012

Thoughts at Night and Kickstarter

Yesterday afternoon I had a few hours to work out some more details of my new dice game, which I felt went well.

Then last night or to be more precise at 4am this morning I was awake, and my mind was filled with extra details about the mechanics and how to improve the game, I also thought about some apsects to ditch from the games mechanics, the original idea was for a fast and easy to learn game, with some nuances thrown in to give an added layer of strategy, however I had been adding in more and more layers, thinking 'wow that would be great.' But I realised that it was moving away from the quick and easy to becoming a more complicated game, nothing wrong in that but I wanted it quick and easy, so those ideas are either going to be put aside for a different game or maybe added as an advanced version. Playtesting will help me decide.

My other thoughts turned to Kickstarter, yes I plan to use Kickstarter to help with the costs of getting the game published. But the thoughts of stretch goals and rewards keep filling my mind, and I sometimes find myself detracting from the main goal of creating a game to thinking about stretch goals, do people really want them, if I was offering a great game at a great price, wouldnt people just be happy to sign up on that basis, the stretch goals that would make the most sense I believe most people would feel that they could have been included in the original game in the first place. So would people prefer a great game at a great price with all the extras included at one price, or would they prefer stretch goals adding bits and pieces as we go along? mmm I know which I would prefer.

Thats not to say there wont be different reward levels, but at this time all the reward levels which include a copy of the game will include the same components as each other.

Why no mention of the games theme just yet, well I am awaiting the first piece of artwork and want to wait until then to showcase the game properly.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment